Hi, I'm a Kenyan-born, Colorado-based single mom to twins Hodari and Milambu. I turned the challenges of single motherhood into a thriving YouTube community and blog. Here, I offer support and practical advice on parenting, lifestyle, and more. Let's navigate life's complexities together!
As a busy parent, it can be tough to find the time and energy to pack a healthy and enjoyable school lunch for your kids. And with the added pressure of nut-free restrictions, it can feel like an even bigger challenge. As someone who has experienced the lunchbox struggle firsthand, I understand the frustration and want to help make things easier for other parents. That’s why I’ve compiled this comprehensive list of nut-free school lunch ideas for kids.
Gone are the days of boring and repetitive lunches that end up coming back home uneaten. This list includes a variety of delicious and nutritious options that are sure to please even the pickiest of eaters. From creative sandwich ideas to tasty snacks and sides, you’ll never run out of inspiration for packing a lunch that your child will love. So, say goodbye to the stress and hello to a new world of exciting and healthy school lunch options for your little ones.
*Note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means I’ll receive a commission if you purchase through my like, at no extra cost to you.
Fridge and Pantry Must-Haves for Packing School Lunch
It’s always good to have your fridge and pantry stocked up before the beginning of the week to ensure that you are all set and that you have all you need to pack lunches. Below I have listed some items you should have in store, this list isn’t exhaustive and you can choose to have more or less based on your needs.
Fridge and Freezer Staples for School Lunches
Deli turkey, chicken, or ham
Blocks of Cheese
Cottage cheese or yogurt
Dips and sauces
Carrots, cucumber, celery
Blackberries, strawberries, blueberries
Drinks (milk and juice)
Pantry Staples for School Lunches
Crackers, pretzels, chips
Tips for Packing A Healthy Lunch
Packing a healthy school lunch doesn’t have to be difficult, here are a few things to keep in mind while packing lunches:
1. Use a proper lunch box. A great lunchbox will make packing school lunches easier. I have been using the bentgo kids boxes for a while now and I love them. They are divided into different compartments which make it easier to pack a variety of meals. I recently purchased the Omni box lunch box since it’s getting colder and I want to start packing hotter meals.
2. Try to incorporate food from different food groups to give your kids more variety in their meals and make sure they are getting all the nutrients they need.
3. Always pack protein to help your child stay full. Protein sources such as chicken, beans, sandwich meat, and eggs are a great addition to any lunch.
4. Don’t be afraid to include a variety of fruits and vegetables. Include your child’s favorite fruits and vegetables and some new ones for them to try.
5. Include foods that your child likes to help them eat more of their lunch. When your child sees a favorite food as part of the lunch, they’re going to be more likely to eat their lunch and try other foods.
6. If they’re old enough, involve your kids in making lunches. They’re going to be more likely to eat lunches they prepared themselves.
Favorite School Lunch Essentials
When it comes to packing lunches, having the right items is essential to a smooth lunch packing experience for you and enjoyable for your kids. Here are some of our favorite lunch packing items:
Rice cakes with almond butter (or SunButter for nut-free)
Chocolate covered pretzels
Made good granola minis
Simple mills bars
Pirate booty corn puffs
Kettle brand potato chips
Simple mills almond flour crackers
Mini chocolate chips
Chia seeds on yogurt
Organic mama chia
Apple sauce cups
Cottage cheese with sliced peaches
Mini pizzas (whole-grain English muffin, marinara sauce, cheese, veggie toppings)
Fruit smoothie (made with yogurt, fruit, and milk)
Banana bread slices
Pita chips with hummus
Packing nut-free school lunches for kids doesn’t have to be a chore. With a little bit of creativity and planning, you can provide your child with healthy and delicious meals that they’ll actually enjoy. Remember to include a variety of food groups and colors, limit high-sugar and sodium foods, and serve appropriate portion sizes.
And if you ever find yourself in a rut, don’t be afraid to mix things up by trying new ingredients and recipes. Your child might surprise you by discovering a new favorite food! With this ultimate list of nut-free school lunch ideas for kids, you now have a plethora of options to choose from. So, say goodbye to the stress of packing school lunches and hello to happy and satisfied kids.
The Ultimate List of (Nut-Free) School Lunch Ideas for Kids
Hi, I'm a Kenyan-born, Colorado-based single mom to twins boys. I turned the challenges of single motherhood into a thriving YouTube community and blog. Here, I offer support and practical advice on parenting, lifestyle, and more. Let's navigate life's complexities together.
@ FAITH MATINI 2021 All Rights Reserved
TERMS + PRIVACY
Faith Matini is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com.